Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting Serious: The Real Thing

So today was the official real first day of med school. And you know, I think it went pretty well (inshallah, it will continue to go that way). I am so not used to waking up at 6 a.m. and taking 4 hours of class and 2 hours of lab, but embryonic development, biochem and histology were all quite good / enjoyable / manageable / review-esque. Lab professor is such a kick -you know, funny, retired doctor guy -even the quiz at the end was (brace yourself for the grandest display of nerdmanship in a while) Fun (this does not mean I aced it, obviously, but soon enough, I will).

The downside though is that when you're really doing school, you're really not meeting more new people. You're sitting in a big room all together... but that's about it. Oh well, I guess we have plenty of time to 'meet' each other later. I bought some textbooks today. They are heavy and expensive. Also, the Harvard Coop kicks the McGill Bookstore's butt (both in terms of books and merch). On a related note, the McGill undergrads began their Frosh today and as I was walking by the Roddick Gates during my hour lunch break, I noticed a modest table of seemingly grey and crimson Harvard T-shirts. As I read the "witty" (not really) line "Harvard: America's McGill" (which, incidentally, is supposed to play on the more common adage "McGill: The Harvard of Canada"), I received confirmation from the gods that my loyalties, in fact, have not yet been swayed back across this border. I remain faithful to my alma matter thus far, and continue to pine that familiar, beautiful campus and the people who made it so memorable.

I also had to get vaccinated (again) today -turns out that Hep B vaccine I took almost 15 years ago is only good for almost 15 years.

One element of a homework we have due on Wednesday is to make up a clinical case. I'm thinking necrotizing fasciitis (aka flesh-eating virus) -let me know if you have any thoughts.

Oh, and finally, for any chemistry buffs / majors in the readership (or people who have taken a chemistry class and thought, "this will have nothing to do with anything in real life"), you ought to know that even the inorganic chemistry you take (well, organometallic chemistry, which was taught to me in an inorganic class -chem 40 anyone?) will help you in med school. Today, on the official Day 1, who did I reunite with but our good old friend the heme porphyrin. And I recalled Prof. Betley's office hours and lectures with nostalgic fondness. Hey Porphy, I'm ready for you! (Wish I could say that quite as confidently for histology, which is the study of cells... a bit less exciting in theory, but hopefully a bit more exciting in real life.)

Well, Med World, here's to you! Bring it (just not too strong).

P.S. for those of you who prefer to read about the "characters" of this "world", I will try to spruce things up in my next post ;)

1 comment:

Julia said...

flesh-eating eh? you might scare off the prof with that one.

;)