Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A splendorous quarter-century celebration, Med-World musings and Love, Love, Love...

The sun that was stunningly bright and painting the library walls golden now only pokes out from behind the tall apartment building across the street. It has been a while since I've taken the time to write to you, to think at you. Almost mid-February now -my 25th birthday has come and gone (it was glorious in so many ways though -thank you to everyone who made it so very special... lots of dark chocolate, succulent lobster tail, tender, sweetly-glazed lamb, surprise roses, things that sparkle and shine, things that make the contours of my body sparkle and shine (garments, not under-garments people ;), lots of desserts, sparklers and candles... memorable indeed!) and I find myself very much caught up in the frenzy of trying to figure out the next critical years of my medical life.

What do I want to be? How do I optimize my opportunities so that I maximize all the possibilities of options of potential areas of specialization (this is exactly as complicated as I just made it sound, I swear, it makes one's head spin!)? Where do I do my clerkship rotations? Rural or urban? Quebec or Ontario? Canada or the U.S. (haha, that's a trick question, we know I'm in no rush to go back down south ;)? What order do I opt for? Pediatrics first since I've already decided I don't care much for kids or parents in the clinical setting? Or surgery first to get it out of the way? Where is the best OB/GYN and FamMed residency programs? Who should I talk to to find out? Who should I talk to to strategize? Plenty to think about.

I interviewed 3 applicants for Harvard College yesterday. Man, not easy to assess their 'qualifications'... like really, who am I to do it, and simultaneously, of course I am one to do it, but then, do I want the pressure of having to do it? Too late now, in any case.

But then I am also very much in the throes of love. Filling my heart with gladness, taking away all my sadness, easing my troubles... not that I had much sadness or troubles. Although, I definitely see the morning sun in all its glory, filling my days with hope and comfort, and my life with laughter... all made better because of my sweetheart. Kudos Rod (Stuart). You know who else was right? Lionel Richie. Good man. And I will now butcher "You Are" for my own purposes here... well, maybe I'll keep the butchering private -no need to make you all cringe and squirm. But really, honey, "all I want is to hold you"... (how about some wine with that CHEESE... and actually LR's a big liar for lovers because since when is holding ALL that is wanted... just sayin').

Anyway. Right. All that work and thinking and USMLE Step 1 studying awaits me.

No comments: