Saturday, January 22, 2011

Taking Stock... with love and gratitude :)

This is one of those life moments that gives one pause for gentle, thoughtful reflection. Falling maddeningly in love with obstetrics & gynecology, craving change, and discovering a beautiful, serene joy and natural "knack" as I begin this Inner City Health family medicine elective in a different city, where life is nicely balanced. What do I want? What is important to me? I have once again had the time to write and to submit my writing for publishing... we'll see where that goes. One day, love will also come knocking on my door and all the blessings that accompany it. Where will I be then in my life? Will I still be the me that I know now?

Sometimes this kind of unknown and uncertainty throws one off-keel. Especially for us control-freaks right. But there is also so much excitement and beauty in all that unknown -it's a realm of infinite possibilities, pure universal potential. Just have to remember your worth, as an eternal, spiritual being, as a physically capable individual, as a philosopher, healer and lover. And trust that everything will work out, I suppose, especially in those areas where we have the most insecurities (and we all have them).

I love where I am now.

Old, reassuring brick inside my bedroom with comforting coffee-coloured tones on the other walls and my bedspread, the sofa chair and this leather window seat, embossed white ceiling tiles from another century, antique-style gilded mirrors, modern Japanese "zen" lamps. I want to live in a place with bedrooms like this. I go to the clinic on the streetcar.

At the clinic, I see patient-types I've never seen before: HIV, transgender issues, highly educated refugees who were victims of torture in their country of origin, young healthy people with their normal, existential concerns whose lives you can still change. I love the variety. But I get so totally, over-the-top excited when I get to do a speculum exam / PAP, or see a newly-pregnant young woman. I would have been ecstatic if the adolescent who just had sex for the first time a couple weeks ago would have let me see her, with all her worries about the consequences, grappling with the emotions, questions about her sexuality and hidden secrets about what that first experience is all about in real life, without all the fake-Hollywood lustre. I was made for that conversation and would have loved the opportunity to take that time to talk with her about it (but not everyone is okay with talking to the medical student so it happens... actually very hard for me to deal with that situation this week; gotta remember that it's not personal).

Oh these girls, these women, these sweet, slowly-dementing old ladies... my heart has a soft spot for all of them... almost universally not well-understood by the people in their lives, under-appreciated, under-loved, frankly. We are complex beings, full of passion, heart, sorrow, grief and joy -and so many are punished for that, and so many more struggle to harness all that. So much for us to learn, us women, yet so many do not have the support for this evolution, so that their strengths may flourish and that they may show to the world the goddesses that they really are. We are all Athena, Lakshmi, Aphrodite, Kali, Aceso, Saraswati... I love my women patients and their babies. But I also loved seeing that gay man with his traumas of not being accepted for what he is in his old country with new-onset psychosis. I am less fond of the alcoholic who does not perceive his drinking as a problem, but even he needs a place to go and be safe and cared for. These are all people that need our support, our compassion, and our applied medical-knowledge.

I love medicine these days. I love going to work and the work that I get to do. Life is pretty good too -good food, good company, catching up with new and old friends. Having the time to want to pray and to pray a bit more mindfully. Enjoying the exhilaration of independence and self-determination. This is what it's all about. I just have to remember that more often... I guess we all do, in our more 'human' moments.

p.s. a good friend sent me this link, and in light of reflections on women and their place in society and this world, i think the following TED talk is apt, with truth and good advice: http://www.ted.com/talks/sheryl_sandberg_why_we_have_too_few_women_leaders.html

No comments: