Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fragmented Moments

The one patient, my favourite patient said to me, "Thank you, really, thank you -you doctors, you really saved my life!" and smiled with a twinkle in his eye. And then I was back in the ER, excited to do my second blood gas and boom, within 20 minutes, that other patient went from clutching my hand to dead -without warning, without family, without anyone to hold his hand. Just like that. And then there was jazz playing inside the window and cold drinks melting on the patio table, and the deep sigh. Prayers today. I nearly cried, I felt so sad and I didn't know why. It's warm, the air still fragrant with spring before the theoretical lazy bliss of summer. All of this impacted and compacted into a splinter of time, a moment's hair, the poo of the invisible speck that we are in this Universe. It's kind of unreal.

Days like today make you want to retire from it all. Friends moving away from their own cities, not even your own, and yet, you feel sad as though they were leaving you. Patients dying and you feel so shocked, when you know that this is part of your job -people die, just deal with it. But they were in pain, and they were sick and oh, they suffered like hell before the end. And you feel like the fact that it happened that way is like a violation of your own soul. And tonight the deep sigh doesn't reassure you, nor the deliciousness of your dinner. Because all you want is the embrace, the caress, the hand holding yours, someone telling you that it's going to be okay. So that you can still tell your patients the same, without feeling like it's all a lie. But that's the thing. Doctors hold patients' hands... who holds the doctor's hand?

No comments: