Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer Musings: Anticipating Adventure

First and foremost, I have a confession to make: I have caved into Harry Potter, the books. I've been a long-time fan of Harry Potter, the movies, and so, upon arriving back in Montreal and not being able to do much due to some temporary back pain (which, I have an inkling, should be soon recovered -I have had enough, frankly), I proceeded to watch all 5 movies over the course of 3 days. And there's nothing like watching them all in a row to give the story more coherence, as well as make you dying to know what's going to happen next. So, I have begun reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (the "Sixth").

Now, as a self-proclaimed writer, I know this seems shameless -how is it possible that I was ever satisfied with just watching the movies when we all know the book is almost always better than the movie? Well, I read the first one many years ago, and didn't think much of it, from a literary perspective (call me a snob if you will), and never really felt the need to read the rest of the series. Perhaps hearing JK at Commencement inspired this new need to read what happens next. And I must say (though really, who am I to say it right), "the Sixth" appears to be much better written than "the First" -maybe Max was right in saying that her writing matures with the story.

So I am reading. I will also be writing (obvi). And purging my old bedroom of my old life and childish, dated things -time to start afresh. There will be new paint on the walls too -hopefully a nice, soft yellow. The Festival International de Jazz de Montreal will be awesome. Seriously, here is (yet another display of shamelessness) my plug for the biggest and best international jazz fest in the world (taken from the website, with some added commentary of my own):

"The gigantic summer music celebration features 11 days of non-stop entertainment, from noon to midnight, right in the heart of downtown Montreal. Several city blocs are closed to traffic [and there are 10 FREE open-air stages! For reals, you don't wanna miss this], as right of way is given exclusively to pedestrians, creating a festive and secure spot with cafés and bistros, an art gallery, street performers and a musical park for children. It’s the summer celebration par excellence for people of all ages and origins, a cultural breath of fresh air, and a place for incredible musical discoveries with influence such as JAZZ, BLUES, LATIN-JAZZ, BRAZILIAN, CUBAN, AFRICAN, REGGAE, CONTEMPORARY, ELECTRONICA [there's also some hard Rock] ..."

And of course there will be lots of famous people. And of course there will be me! So come up and visit sometime during June 26 - July 6, and check out the website for more info: http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/accueil_en.aspx

Okay. Also I have been flirting with the idea of making a short visit to Arizona in July to see the Grand Canyon. Yay, mini-adventures. Books and "the type" -adventures of the mind; jazz in the old city -adventure for the spirit and the heart; the Grand Canyon -probably one of the ultimate adventures period. Am I wrong?

And she smiled, satisfied, excited and happy, as one of her favourite Turkish pop (2007) songs by Mustafa Sandal began to play on her sister's iPod, taking her back through a whorl of memories in that beloved far-yet-not-so-far-away land.

No comments: