Friday, October 14, 2011

Back in the womb of inspiration

So here I am, back at Harvard, albeit just for a visit. I watch as sparkle-eyed, innocent, eager freshmen lunch with their parents in the Square, and as seasoned students and professors meander their way along these cobblestone streets, contemplating some academic dilemma, or perhaps a personal one. I arrived late last night to find the area bustling with youthful energy, in bowties, black suits, shimmery dresses, high heels. Oh how I miss this energy! This place I once called my home. Oh it's absolutely nostalgic as I sit here in the little coffee shop, with an unsweetened pumpkin spice chai and my laptop, the air alight with big ideas and plans, limitless dreams, potential, everything -hope and such a love of learning. It is truly most inspiring and wonderful. Even that awkwardness, that ridiculousness, that naivete even, is utterly endearing. I loved belonging here.

And I'm here to do some work... work on those residency applications, and revisit with old friends. All the worries of the world are across the border -here, it's just me. Who goes to Boston or Cambridge just to sit at their laptop and work? My mind has space here. Indeed, this is one of those places that prioritizes room for thinking, reflecting, and then turning that into something. Promising, for such an important task at hand, wouldn't you agree?

Being back here is like being in love, or perhaps, remembering an old love... in the most important way that is... to feel joy, lightness and inspired.

No comments: